Create NDVI image and recode

Dear all,

What I want to do sounds simple, but I am not sure, what the fastest option would be.
I have several thousand 4channel images for which I want to calculate the NDVI and then recode the images based on thresholds into several classes, e.g.
NDVI<0 --> class value 1
0=<NDVI<=0.4 --> class value 2
NDVI >0.4 -->class value 3
My approach would be to caclulate the NDVI image first using “otbcli_RadiometricIndices” first.
But how to perform the recode? Can I apply multiple conditions in BandMath/BandMathx?

Any hints are well appreciated
Oliver

Hello Oliver,

to apply a condition with BandMath and BandMathX the syntax is

"logical expression ? value if true : value if false"

For example im1b1 < 0 ? 1 : 2

It is possible to chain this expression to apply several condtions at once, in your case, if im1b1 is the NDVI (for example computed by RadiometricIndices) :

-exp "im1b1 < 0 ? 1 : im1b1 <= 0.4 ? 2 : 3"

If you are looking for performances I think the most efficient way to compute your classes would be to chain RadiometricIndices and BandMath in memory in a python script to avoid writing the NDVI on disk (see https://www.orfeo-toolbox.org/CookBook-develop/PythonAPI.html#in-memory-connection).

You can also try to compute the NDVI directly in the BandMath Expression, but you’ll need to compute it twice (one for each expression), so I think it would be less efficient. (in an expression you can use ndvi(im1b1, im1b2) where b1 is the red band and b2 is the NIR band).

Cédric

Thanks Cedric,

for your fast reply. Sound like the way to go, I will try.
How would I set the condition for a value between two values? With a logical AND?

-exp "im1b1 < 0 ? 1 : im1b1 <= 0.4 && im1b1 >= 0 ? 2 : 3"

Yes,

(but in this case this is not needed)

Cédric